2010 Jun 06
June 11th, 2010: Nebraska Independence Day
Since its clear that the realignment talk is for real, expect big things to happen this football season. Heck, look for big things to happen before this football season. In fact, they are happening now. Some of you are thinking "So what, we already know this." True, so the next question is what to do about it.
Well, we can sit back, play it safe and stay in the Texas - I mean Big 12 - Conference. Or we can pursue the Big 10/11. For all we know, Nebraska has some type of verbal offer. Perhaps a third option is to look at joining another conference or forming a new conference with other frustrated schools.
My choice: Go Independent.
Here are a few supporting reasons off the top of my head:
- We aren't happy with the Big 12.
- Dan Beebe is more concerned about keeping his way instead of talking about the issues (he is firm that the Big 12 championship would remain in TX until 2013).
- Other schools in the Big 12 are not happy or are looking to expand (Missouri, Colorado)
- Rumors continue to flow about TX schools going to the Pac 10, Big 12 North schools heading to Big 10, and even teams like OU and OSU being lured into SEC talk.
- At Nebraska, our word is our word (at least that's how I feel). If we commit, we actually hold to our word. Nebraska committing doesn't mean other schools will commit or hold to their word. Missouri could commit, only to leave for the Big 10 next year.
Everything is unstable! In an environment like this, why commit in any direction?
If Nebraska decides to go Independent, this allows Nebraska to make a graceful exit and remain available for any conference realignment opportunity in the future. This would maximize Nebraska's opportunities without locking themselves up as the first team in what will soon be a massive, massive overhaul of the college football conferences.
Besides, I am pretty sure ABC, ESPN, CBS, NBC, FOX, or Versus would love an exclusive Nebraska Football TV agreement. I know I would enjoying seeing all the games on TV - and so would millions across the nation!
What do you think? Is it a horrible idea to go independent for Nebraska? Even for only a year or two until the conference re-alignment settles a bit? Worried about losing our intense matchup with Kansas State?
Permanent Link to this Blog Post